Monday, July 28, 2014

Integrative Therapies




"I wouldn't give up the traditional treatment for anything, but the alternative treatments I think work with my head as well as my body and that’s an awfully important part of getting well and staying well." 


Since I am on my mindfulness and holistic living kick, I thought I'd share some information about The Leonard P. Zakim Center for Integrative Therapies. The video above highlights some of the key integrative therapies that are used at that center at Dana-Farber.

I think that quote from the video sums up how I feel about using any integrative therapy. I think being in the "early" stage of myeloma as either an MGUS or SMM patient, it's important if at all possible to begin using these types of strategies, as a way to reduce stress as well as to prepare for any treatment that may be in the future.

Here is some more  information about myeloma patient Lenny Zakim, named for the Zakim Bridge in Boston as well as the Integrative Therapy Center at Dana-Farber. He passed away in 1999 and was only 46 years old.

The Leonard P. Zakim Center for Integrative Therapies

"The Zakim Center was the dream of its namesake, Lenny Zakim, who as a Dana-Farber patient found comfort and renewal by combining acupuncture, massage, Reiki, and other integrative therapies with his chemotherapy and radiation. Throughout his five-year treatment for multiple myeloma, Zakim worked tirelessly to make integrative therapies available and affordable to all Dana-Farber patients.

Employing the same passion he displayed as an attorney, civil rights activist, and New England Region director of the Anti-Defamation League, he worked with doctors, administrators, and other patient care advocates to make his goal a reality. Just before dying at age 46 in 1999, Zakim was able to announce the establishment of the Zakim Center, which opened at Dana-Farber the next year."



The Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge





No comments:

Post a Comment