Thursday, March 21, 2013

Alliteration fan? Left (Humeral) Linear Lucent Lesion

I have a lot of the reports from my recent trip to NIH. My skeletal survey and CT scan of my arm were the most uhm, startling? to see in black and white. I present to you... my skeletal survey and CT scan reports. So thrilling, I'm sure. :) 



DX Bone Series
02/19/2013


Patient: ******, ELIZABETH **** MRN: ******


REASON FOR EXAM (Entered by ordering clinician into CRIS): For SMM Only



Findings: AP and lateral skull: Normal. Calvarium no lytic lesion.


Entire spine: Cervical spine AP and lateral: Normal alignment.


Disc and joint spaces intact. No lytic lesion.


Thoracic spine: Normal alignment. No lytic lesion. No compression.


Lumbar spine: Disc and joint spaces intact. No lytic lesion or compression.

Rib series: No fracture. No lytic lesion.

Upper extremity long bones: Small mid humeral lucent lesion near the insertion of the deltoid. Forearms negative.

AP each hand: Normal.

AP pelvis: Hip joints intact. No lytic lesions.

AP lower extremity long bones: No lytic lesions. 

AP and lateral feet: Negative.


Impression: Focal left mid humeral lesion, suspicious for myeloma. Consider additional imaging, PET CT or MRI.








Suspicious for myeloma, huh? Hmmm.
But, 24 hours later...

Just kidding!








Exam: Exam Date: Accession #: Ordered By:

CT Humerus - * CT Humerous w/o Contrast - 73200

02/20/2013

Patient: ****, ELIZABETH ******

MRN: ******

REASON FOR EXAM (Entered by ordering clinician into CRIS): Evaluate suspicious lesions from skeletal survey on 2/19 to left humerus

Comparison: Bones series February 19, 2013.

Procedure: High resolution noncontrast axial CT left humerus.

Findings: Small linear lucent canal in the vertex mid left humerus corresponding to the plain radiographic finding. No convincing evidence of endosteal scalloping. This lucency is in region of the deltoid musculo tendinous insertion. No focal lytic lesions are seen in the osseous structures included on the study.


Impression: Lucent left humeral lesion probably related to variant, a vascular groove. No convincing evidence of myeloma.

 




Huzzah. No convincing evidence of myeloma. Do you like how I bolded all the important heart attack provoking parts of the reports? Heh. Seriously, none of this is major. I'm supposed to have Dr. R compare this recent CT scan of my humerous to the films of the PET/CTs I've had in December 2009 and August 2012 and we'll basically just watch the area to see if it develops into anything. Aside from the minor heart attack this experience caused me, hopefully this left linear lucent lesion will not be a big deal. :)

4 comments:

  1. Elizabeth,
    So sorry you had to endure the worry. So glad to hear that it is thought to be MM! I got my doctor to approve the tests I need, although I am now putting it off. I will let you know the results once I finally quit procrastinating.

    Sincerely,
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patty! It was scary. I hope that you are able to get your testing done soon. Look forward to hearing about it!

      Take care,
      Elizabeth

      Delete
    2. Elizabeth,
      I just realized I left out the "not" in my second sentence. So glad it is "not" thought to be MM. Wow, that makes a huge difference in meaning!! I finally got my blood work done yesterday. I just have the 24-hour urine test to complete.
      Patty

      Delete
    3. No worries, Patty! I figured that's what you meant. :) Glad you had your blood work... have fun with the 24 hour urine, my least favorite test! ;) Wishing you good results! Keep me posted.

      Take care,
      Elizabeth

      Delete