Wednesday, November 13, 2013

November - 4 Year DFCI Anniversary

Today I have an an appointment with Dr. R at DFCI. This is my fourth quarter visit this year which will (hopefully) be my last visit of 2013. I know it's only November, but I am glad to see 2013 go.

Interestingly my first visit with Dr. R was just around this time 4 years ago - November 16, 2009. My m-spike that had been found that July was just a "trace" of IgG lambda and I was "officially" diagnosed with MGUS in August/September. After seeing a local hem/onc and getting my official MGUS diagnosis I decided to go to Dana-Farber. What an interesting 4 years it's been. I got married, changed jobs, moved (twice), got upgraded to smoldering myeloma, and had millions of blood draws, 24 hour urine, MRIs, PET/CTs, CTs, skeletal surveys, etc.

My first visit with Dr. R back in November 2009 was almost 2 hours long. I was the last patient of the day and Dr. R had to let me out of the old Dana-Farber building as all staff had left and the custodian was vacuuming. I believe my appointment was scheduled for 3:00 and we didn't leave until almost 8:00. I thought that might be a one time thing but the wait times and leaving at 8:00 when I have a late in the day appointment have just been things I've come to accept. :)

Hopefully this will be an uneventful visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment